If you are using Windows 10 as your operating system, then you will find that the new web browser Microsoft Edge is also part of Windows 10. This web browser is slick and performs better too but there is one issue with it. Microsoft Edge uses Bing as its default search engine. Bing being a Microsoft search provider, is good as a search engine and there are many advantages of using it, but for many users three preferred search engine is different and they want to keep on using their preferred search engine. But the good news is that the Microsoft allows the default search engine to be changed by the users. If you follow the instructions given below, then you will be able to change the default search engine in Microsoft Edge:-
- When you open Microsoft Edge, click on the three horizontal dots i.e. ‘More Actions’ You will find these dots on the top right of the window.
- Click on ‘settings’ and then find and click on ‘View Advanced Settings’.
- You will find a menu in ‘Advanced Settings’ and at the bottom of the menu you will find ’Search in the address bar with’. Bing will be set as its default option.
- If you open the drop down menu, you will find ‘Add New’, click on that option. In this menu there will be a list of search engines which are compatible to Edge. If your preferred search engine is already on the list, then just select it and then click on ‘Add as default’. This action will set your preferred search engine as the default search engine when you are using Microsoft Edge.
Microsoft Edge allows users to directly use many search engines like Wikipedia or Twitter. If your favorite search engine is not in the list but it is compatible to Edge, then just visit the search engine and you will find that it is added in ‘ Add a search provider ‘ list.
If you want to remove Bing as a default search engine from Internet Explorer and want to set search engine of your choice as default search engine, then you can follow the instructions given below.
- When you open Internet Explorer, you will have to click on the ‘Internet Explorer Gallery Webpage’. Scrolling down the webpage, you will find a list of add on. Search engines like Yahoo or Google will be listed under the label ‘Search’.
- If your preferred search engine is on the list then click on it.
- Once you click on your favorite search engine, you will be on a new webpage. Click on the ‘Add to Internet Explorer’ option available on the webpage.
- Click check on the option of ‘Make this my default search engine’ and then click ‘Add’.
You will find that your preferred search engine is now the default search engine of the Internet Explorer. There is just one issue in this process. If your favorite search provider is not on the list then you cannot make that as the default search engine for Internet Explorer.